Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Books, Books & More Books


If you're an avid reader such as me, you know your new year is off to a great start when you become the proud owner of your very first ereader. I went out with my sister on Monday, and broke down and bought myself a Nook Simple Touch. My ultimate wish was for the Nook Tablet, but settled for the Simple Touch for now since I was really wanting something to download library books onto.

As soon as I got home with it, it was immediately plugged into my computer to start charging. (Note: if you buy one, be aware that it took mine almost 24 hours to charge to full capacity.) While my new "toy" was charging, I began to surf around for free books to download. Once the Nook was charged, I downloaded almost 30 books. Barnes and Noble is one of the first places I went to. I'll admit, most of the free book sites don't offer the latest books on the market, but that's ok. One suggestion I would make if you are considering purchasing an ereader, whether it be a Nook, Kindle, Sony or some other type of ereader, find out from your local library if they offer ebooks for downloading. If they do, you may want to find out what you need to do in order to download books onto your ereader. Some places, such as Barnes and Noble, offer bargain deals. You could also consider making friends with people who have ereaders and you can share books.

As I said, I love to read and have always loved to do so for as long as I can remember. When I was a child, my interest was history. I loved reading biographies about such people as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Daniel Boone, etc. Around the time I turned 18, my sister brought home a paperback by Kathleen Woodweiss, The Flame and the Flower. This book started a lifelong love of historical romances. It's funny that after 40 years, I still remember that book. Even though books about American history and historical romances are my favorites, I also like books about Native Americans, cave people/pre-history, and some syfy/paranormal items.

Favorite authors? I enjoy Jude Devereaux, Johanna Lindsay, Victoria Alexander, Mary Balogh, Gayle Callen, and Heather Graham, just to name a few. Cassie Edwards has written several historical romance books about Native Americans. In the syfy/paranormal genre, I like Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Gena Showalter.
Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear, a husband & wife team, wrote several books about early Americans that I really enjoyed reading. This past September I attended my first book signing. Zak Bagans, host of the "Ghost Adventures" on the Travel Channel, had written a book entitled Dark World. in which he talks about some of the adventures he, Nick Groff, and Aaron Goodwin have while checking out haunted places. It was great to meet someone and have them sign a book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment