Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Days of Our Lives

I've been a fan of Days of Our Lives (DOOL) since the very beginning. It's the only soap opera I keep up with; even my spouse watches it with me. If you're not familiar with DOOL, it has been on NBC for almost 50 years. It started out centering on the family of Tom and Alice Horton. Tom was chief of staff at the Salem Hospital, and Alice was well-known for her homemade donuts. Tom and Alice were the parents of 5 children: Tom Jr., Mickey, Bill, Addie, and Marie. (NOTE: For some unknown reason, NBC's DOOL site doesn't have Tom Jr. and Marie listed in the family geneaology.) If my memory serves me right, Tom Jr. and Bill were doctors, Mickey was a lawyer, and Marie was a nun. I can't remember what Addie did, but I do know she had leukemia, but died after being struck by a car while out for a walk with her young daughter, Hope.

Nowadays the show centers around the Brady, DiMera, and Kiriakis families. Over the course of the show, each family somehow got intertwined with each other either through marriages or affairs. Said affairs would ultimately result in a birth which really mixed up the families. Unfortunately, there have been instances where history has been rewritten. Case in point: When John Black was introduced, everyone thought he was Roman Brady. It eventually was revealed that he wasn't Roman, but he had no memory of who he actually was; therefore, he took the name John Black. It was found out later that he was Forrest Alamain, nephew to Vivian Alamain and brother to Laurence Alamain. Everyone had always thought Forrest was deceased. But, as I said, the writers rewrote John's lineage by making him a DiMera/Brady. It was written that Stefano's father had had an affair with Shawn Brady's sister, Colleen, thereby producing John. This not only made John a half-brother to Stefano, but a first cousin to Roman and Bo.

Speaking of weird lineages, I wonder how many viewers realize that Hope and Julie are actually half-sisters. They share the same mother, Addie Horton, with Julie being several years older than Hope. Julie eventually married Hope's father, Doug, thereby also becoming Hope's step-mother. Told you it was weird. :-) It is my hope that you will come back often as I will be sharing some spoilers with you as I come across them. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment