Thursday, September 24, 2020

Moving my site...

For years, I used GoDaddy as host for my website, Sharry's Place.  Over the last few months I realized that I was getting unwanted links/coding added to my site, which I found out one day by simply googling my site.  I then paid GoDaddy a steep price for a 2-month package for web security in order to prevent the unwanted items.  The hosting price itself I had no complaints with; it was the fact that after figuring the monthly hosting cost with the website security package added, I was paying over $30 a month just for hosting & security.  Plus, I didn't have a SSL certificate, which was considered an extra charge.

After much thought and research, I decided to switch host providers.  Don't get me wrong, I really do like GoDaddy, they are my go-to for purchasing domains.  A lady I took graphic design classes from has her site hosted with SiteGround and she highly recommended them.  I was very pleased to learn that a SSL certificate was included in the package and the price was a lot less than what I was currently paying.  So, I took the plunge and moved my hosting package and paid for the first full year.  That wasn't much above what I was paying for a 2-month web security package at GoDaddy and that didn't include the hosting package.

The only thing that bothered me after I switched hosts was my site menu wouldn't work.  The coding I was using would enable a dropdown list when you hovered your mouse over the links, but it wouldn't work with SiteGround.  When I contacted them, I was told it had something to do with the javascript used.  I was surprised by this since I had had no problem with it before.  I've spent the last few days redoing my site...I wanted it to look very similar to what I had been using but just redoing the menu.  I am very much a novice when it comes to html and css coding, but I did quite a bit of playing around and googling codes until I was able to get a menu that would work without using javascript.  

Both GoDaddy and SiteGround are great and easy to use.  I do recommend that if you are looking for a place to host your site and/or blog...do your research.  I'm sure there are other host providers out there that are just as good; you just need to find the one that provides what you personally need.

No comments:

Post a Comment